David specializes in providing financial and operational consulting including: chief financial officer services, strong leadership and business counsel, and restructuring of troubled financial situations. Engagements have involved recapitalizations of companies in default, lender relations, systems redesign, and due diligence investigations. Some of David’s clients have included MeadWestvaco, Target Fiber, Marcal Paper Mills, and 3north.
Prior to launching his consulting career:
- David served as President and CEO of Noble Logistics, Inc., where he was originally hired as a consultant to advise the CEO with respect to turning the company around. He assumed the position of CEO three weeks into the engagement and under his leadership the 2009 loss of $2.4 million was half of the 2008 loss on approximately 20% less revenues and the company returned to marginal profitability in 2009.
- Immediately after the initial round of start-up financing, David was hired as Executive Vice President, Chief Financial and Administrative Officer at Ethanex Energy to create and manage all financial, accounting, and administrative functions.
- David served as President, Chief Operating Officer to OnStream International, Inc., a high technology start-up company. The company was funded with over $150 million of venture capital from tier one firms, such as GE Capital and Charterhouse Group International, and in the first year of operations achieved an annual rate of sales in excess of $35 million. Originally hired as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer in 1998, David was promoted to the position of President, Chief Operating Officer in 2000 by the shareholder directors.
- At Gateway 2000, Inc., a global manufacturer and direct marketer of personal computers, David served as Senior Vice President and CFO. The Company grew at a compound rate of growth of 30% during his tenure and developed operations on three continents, increasing sales from $2.8 billion to in excess of $7.5 billion.
- David served as Vice Chairman and Chief Operating Officer to Collins & Aikman Group, Inc., a broad-based specialty manufacturing company with sales of $1.4 billion. David was responsible for closing the corporate headquarters on the West Coast and building an almost completely new organization in Charlotte, resulting in over $5.0 million in annual savings, and divesting two non-strategic divisions to aid liquidity and reduce the Company’s operations to a strategic core.
- David served as Senior Vice President and CFO to James River Corporation, a Fortune 100 paper and consumer products company. During this time, the company sustained dynamic growth through acquisitions and internal expansion as annual revenues increased from $14 million to a peak of approximately $8.5 billion. David served as principal and negotiated for over 25 acquisitions and divestitures, including three which each doubled the company’s size, raising James River’s sales from $400 million to $4.5 billion in five years. During his twenty-year tenure, he built the corporate finance organization from five to 300 personnel without ever increasing overhead costs as a percent of sales.
- Earlier in his career David served as Treasurer to a privately held manufacturing company, Marine Development Corporation and started his career as a Senior Accountant to Coopers & Lybrand where he participated in merger and acquisition work and ultimately became a Certified Public Accountant.
- Hampden-Sydney College, Board of Trustees
- Previously served on the Board of Directors for Shepherd Tissue Company
- Previously served on the Board of Directors for Golden Skillet Corporation
- Previously served on the Board of Directors for Wellman, Inc.
- Previously served on the Board of Trustees for Sioux Gateway Airport Authority
- Previously served on the Board of Trustees for St. James’ Children’s Center
- Previously served on Advisory Board for Peregrine Energy, Inc.
- BS Chemistry and Mathematics, Hampden-Sydney College
- MBA, Rutgers University