Tom has extensive communications experience, developing the message for, and interacting effectively with, multiple boards of directors, major investment firms, and large financial institutions.
Highlights prior to launching his consulting career:
While CFO at WestMarine, a $680 million publicly-traded specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories:
- Played a major role in a restructuring, which delivered increased cash flow, enabled payoff of $52 million in debt, and drove EBITDA from negative $4 million in 2008 to positive $40 million in 2012
- Building on this foundation, from 2013 to 2015, partnered with the CEO and leadership to develop, support, execute, and track growth strategies to reposition the business from a boating accessories retailer to a broader, water-based lifestyle outfitter, with a positive impact on sales and profitability
As CFO of the $275 million in revenue WearGuard, a division of ARAMARK, he implemented product-line profitability analysis. He also used results to advocate to the CEO and then execute a major business restructuring in 2006, in which an unprofitable business segment was exited and the SG&A base was lowered, leading to a $4 million improvement in EBIT.
While Director of Planning at CarMax during the start-up and rapid-growth phase of 1995 to 2000 during which revenue grew from from $75 million to $2.5 billion:
- Established the financial reporting and analysis function, identifying key drivers of business performance and developing management reporting with appropriate focus for the executive team
- Led the development of a scalable automated vehicle inventory management system and retail pricing model, which helped enable rapid store rollout and was used to manage over $200 million of inventory by 2000
Served on the board, including a term as Chairman, at Goodwill of the California Central Coast ($25 million in revenue):
- Helped the staff develop an improved financial reporting and forecasting structure that ultimately served as a roadmap for investments in facilities improvements focusing on efficiency, expansion, and modernization
- Recruited and on-boarded a new CEO when the current CEO retired after 27 years
Earlier in his career, Tom was the VP of Finance at a $3 million family-owned professional services firm where he oversaw improvements in processes and infrastructure that helped prep the company for an all-cash sale.
- MBA, Finance, Fuqua Scholar, Duke University — The Fuqua School of Business
- BA, Physics, Cum Laude, College of Holy Cross