Since leaving PW, Brian has been active in both private operating management and public accounting roles. He has been a partner with leading regional public accounting firms in New England and the Southeast, providing business and tax advice to middle market and emerging growth clients. He has worked with clients involved in software, internet services, health IT, life sciences, medical devices, venture capital and private equity, manufacturing, and various services on subjects including M&A, international expansion, multistate taxation, family ownership transition, executive compensation, and various tax minimization opportunities.
Brian has also been full-time or fractional CFO for several early stage, high growth businesses. He helped raise over $17M and grow a startup online trading marketplace to over 130 personnel prior to eventual sale of that company. He was COO and CFO of a consulting firm that grew to more than 40 full-time and “on call” consulting resources providing services primarily to the Fortune 500. He also was founding Treasurer of a professional group organized to share best practices in the burgeoning area of alliance development and management.
Over the last four years, Brian has acted as fractional CFO for a growing, multi-office consulting group. He was also co-founder and fractional CFO of a startup nutritional food company, and the fractional CFO and financial advisor for numerous other early stage companies. He has also been principal advisor on Federal and State tax incentives for numerous early stage companies, and he acts as fractional tax policy and compliance counsel for an early stage SaaS tax services business for contractors in the on-demand economy.
- Led reorganization of client multi-office consulting practice, new partner admission, and revamping of back office infrastructure
- Performed 25+ R&D Credit Studies involving software or SaaS development, lab hardware, wireless devices, carbon composite manufactured products, custom-designed electrical components, custom lighting, molded plastic products, and the development of several new manufacturing processes
- Teamed on business plan development, projections, fundraising and new financial infrastructure for startups in nutrition, consumer products, healthcare, life sciences, financial services, and online marketing
- 7+ years as the fractional tax director of a fast-growing, PEG-owned manufacturer, providing tax savings and problem resolution advice while coordinating the outsourcing of tax preparation and other specialized advice
- Evaluated state tax nexus for a software provider and an online marketer in all 50 states
- Applications for accounting method changes involving advance payments, accounting errors, self-insurance reserves, R&D cost capitalization, LIFO, and others
- Supervision of Federal and State tax filings for family-owned company operating in 27 states, and a PEG-controlled group filing in 40+ states
- American Institute and Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Richmond Venture Forum
- BA Economics, Yale University
- MS Accounting, Northeastern University, Graduate School of Professional Accounting
- CPA Virginia